December 9, 2009

Day 3 Twelve of Twelve- Lighting

On the third days of Christmas my true love gave to me

...Three French Hens

PastedGraphic.fpqFsldDLL4D.jpg

IKEA, Starbucks, pushing a cart filled with lighting through a blustery parking lot while the wheels skid across hard ice crystals which Albertans Call “snow”. No pedestrian areas, drive thrus abound with festive decorations illuminating the many consumer opportunities. All this can all only mean only one thing, I have come back to Calgary at Christmas time.

I was born here, in Calgary, nearly 36 years ago. I lived here till I was 3, then moved to Bragg Creek where I grew up; moved back to Calgary for University and met Chris at 19. I went to live in Australia, picked up Ayla, came home to Calgary. Moved to Slave Lake Alberta, then Pemberton BC, and then to Nelson, beautiful crazy, highly vibrating Nelson. I wouldn’t want to live in Calgary, growing up I couldn’t WAIT to be out of Alberta. Now though, I have an appreciation for it, it is too early in this new phase of my relationship with Calgary to really tell you what the appreciation is all about, but it is there all the same. Despite sprawling suburbs, and its overt consumer nature, I am reconnecting with my city of Birth, home of the greatest outdoor show on earth!

So the commitment? We ate chicken at Michael's sisters house, too easy.

“Where were you born? What is your relationship to this place now?” is the question in 12 days journal #241

1 comment:

  1. I was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, US. I only go back there to visit my dad but still prefer it very much if Dad comes here instead. LOL. It has a very narrow-minded, small-town feel to it though its population is around 50,000-ish last I knew. It continues to go down the toilet...went from being one of the top 100 best places to raise kids to somewhere I'm not always wild about taking my kids to when we visit Grandpa. I dislike it more and more as time goes on. After my parents die, I will more than likely never go there again. It never felt like "home."

    ReplyDelete