April 20, 2009

Day 10 Pulpit Rock- The spell is broken.

A third day of waking up sad..what is this about? I was cold as well. I have been cold nearly every day since I began the cleanse nearly 3 weeks ago. The kids are making their own way to school for earth week, lots of work for them but less for me! So I bundled myself , grabbed what I needed to go up the rock today and went down to the coffee shop for a breakfast bun. When I arrived the crew was sitting on the patio, what are they crazy? Aren’t they freezing? Chris stayed inside to order and I went and parked my grumpy butt on the bench with my friends. I grumbled a little. They consoled, loved, forgave my grumpy intrusion. I started to talk with a girlfriend about lack of physical connection in our community. She came and sat by me, rubbed my shoulders. The sun peeked through the clouds. Friends were laughing. Talking about an up coming show. I took off my sweater...felt the sun prickle my skin. Chris brought me a bun which we shared. More laughing, stories, more friends arrive. I tell them I am going up Pulpit again, none of them know yet about the experiment. I am waiting until next week to release this project. None of them question this obsession I seem to have developed, just encourage and congratulate me. By the end of the conversation I am joking that when I get up to Pulpit I am going to moon everyone. They ask if this is a promise and I make sure I have their cell numbers so I can call when I am up there. With new found vigour I run/walk up with Chris. By the top the black wool running pants I decided on before leaving home were way too hot. I strip down to my undies and bra and sun myself on the rocks thinking...God I have fantastic friends! Their company and acceptance of where I was at, helped me slide through the third sad morning in a row. And now here I am standing waving down at town, cell phone in one hand, wearing nothing but skivvies and runners, while talking to a friend who is spying us through his binoculars. About minute later I wrote “How have your friends inspired you in your life?” inside the front cover of 12 days journal #7

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves”
- Edna Buchanan


Today I have officially been blogging this experiment for 12 days!

1 comment:

  1. My friends have inspired me with their ability to offer me what I need without me actually knowing what I need. I just know I need to talk to one of them, and somehow through the course of the conversation, they manage to say the one thing that was exactly what I needed to hear. And then they are surprised that it hit me so profoundly.

    I try to remember this when I am listening to them and sharing what they are feeling. Too often, I don't feel like I'm being particularly helpful to them, but it's possible that I'm saying things that seem meaningless and trite to me, but it hits them profoundly. At least, I hope it does.

    They really ARE the family we choose for ourselves, in so many ways!

    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete